How to Host a Third Party Fundraising Event
Third party events are larger fundraising events that involve more planning and time. They are usually organized by third party organizations, such as trade groups, companies, restaurants, retailers, hotels, etc. Events take many forms, and third party fundraisers organize the structure and planning.
Please review the guidelines below. They will guide you through the process of becoming an official Susan G. Komen Houston Third Party Event. Once the application is received, please allow 5-10 working days for review and approval of the application.
1. Complete an application. The fundraising individuals or organization should be aligned with our mission and values.
2. Once the event or promotion is approved, a Komen Houston Third-Party Agreement will need to be signed.
3. Ensure sponsors, attendees and participants make their payments to you as the entity conducting the event or sale. We are unable to accept participants’ direct payments.
4. Please let us know of any potential sponsors or underwriters for your event or promotion before you secure them to avoid conflicts with relationships we already have.
5. If the event consists of a sporting component, ALL participants must sign a waiver form (we can provide a sample).
6. Submit payment by check within 30-60 days after the event.
Guidelines (to protect you and us)
Please provide proof of insurance for the event (if applicable). Most of the time, your venue or organization can easily add us as “Additionally Insured” for the event. This is required for your protection and ours. If insurance is required for your event or promotion, at the minimum, please present proof of comprehensive general liability insurance which covers liability for bodily injury, property damage or death arising out of the third party event or sale.
Please name the following as “Additional Insured” on your policy for the event or promotion:
1. Susan G. Komen, 5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250, Dallas, Texas 75244 AND
2. Susan G. Komen Houston, P.O. Box 4080, Houston, Texas 77210
All Third Party Agreement applications must clearly state a specific percentage of net revenue or a specific dollar amount that they will contribute to Komen Houston. For example, $10 of each ticket sold or 10 percent of the sales price of this product, etc. If a sporting event, waiver forms must be signed by ALL event participants and kept on file by the Third Party Fundraiser.
What we give you:
- 50 Komen running ribbon breast cancer awareness pins
- Breast Self-Awareness Cards (50)
- Fundraising “Getting Started” Tip Sheet
- Customizable website
- Permission to use the Susan G. Komen Houston name and/or logo. Please remember that all marketing materials should be approved by us before printing.
- References to Komen in publicity or promotional materials (e.g., fliers, tickets, invitations, etc.) should say:
First reference: Susan G. Komen Houston
Subsequent reference: Komen Houston
We can’t share our mailing list. But, we’re happy to post information on our website, in our updates and social media channels. If you’d like to us to attend the event, please let us know. We can talk about how money is spent toward helping local women with breast cancer services. (Please provide complimentary entries for this. We try to minimize our expenses to maximize our impact.)
Your support is valuable to us as we continue to serve the local women and families who need our help the most! Thank you for your interest in partnering with us in this fight to end breast cancer. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past examples of Third Party Fundraising Events include:
Braman Winery and Brewery – Hosted an event and a portion on select wines were donated to Komen Houston
Burger Joint Uniquely created a Pink shake to sell during the month of October for breast cancer awareness and donated 20% of shake sales to Komen Houston
Chili’s Sawyer Heights –10% of sales was donated to Komen when guest mention Komen Houston
Constellation Brands – Donated a portion of proceeds made from their select wines
Constellation Energy – The Energy company
Cruise Planners– Offered a special discounted rate for a cruise to support Komen Houston
DEFINE body & mind – Hosted a Cycle fundraiser event and collected donations to support Komen Houston
Golf, Dine or Tennis – Start a Rally for the Cure Event, select Komen Houston as your beneficiary!
Houston Premium Outlets – Partnership allows Komen Houston to host race registration rallies and promote the annual Race for the Cure®
Houston Rockets Games –The Houston Rockets discounted tickets for family members in October
IHOP – Hosted several events and a portion of the meal proceeds was donated to Komen Houston
Kate Spade New York – shopping party with a percentage of sales donated back to Komen Houston
Kendra Scott – shopping party with a percentage of sales donated back to Komen Houston
Project Pink : North Cypress Hospital – annual event which raises over $20,000 for Komen Houston
Red Wing Shoes – Collected and matched donations in the month of October
Revolution Studio – Hosted a Cycle fundraiser event and collected donations to support Komen Houston
Rice Owls – Hosts special game-fundraisers to support Komen Houston
Spindle Tap Brewery – Hosted an event and a portion of pink cans proceeds was donated to Komen Houston
Houston Corvette Owners Club – Hosted an event and proceeds from raffle ticket sells was donated to Komen Houston
Title Boxing Club – Hosted a trainer challenge fundraiser during the month of October
UH Women’s Basketball – Hosts special game-fundraisers and sells breast cancer awareness items to support Komen Houston
UH Women’s Softball – hosts special game-fundraisers and sells breast cancer awareness items to support Komen Houston